Thursday, February 19, 2009

Philmont


I had the pleasure of finally making my return trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron New Mexico. I worked there as a Ranger 1 in 2000. I did not realize how much a single place can impact your life. I spent four months working as a back country guide, preparing fresh troops for the ten day trek into the mountains. I was 19 years old and did not fully understand what a wonderful place that was. As I got off the highway and turned West, I could see the Tooth of Time Ridge in the distance. Instantly I was filled with weird emotions. A sadness overcame me. I felt comfortable, as if I was finding a part of me that had been missing for some time. The camp was empty upon my arrival. Presidents Day had all but one staff member on a day off. I walked around Base Camp and could remeber specific events that had happened 8 years prior. As I left New Mexico heading North to Denver, good thoughts passed through my head. I am excited to start my journey home. To see old friends and family and to begin a normal life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment